Monday, February 19, 2018

Yahweh’s Provision for His People (Psalm 23:1-3)

1Yhwh is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.  2He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, 3He restores my soul.  He guides me in paths of righteousness for His Name's sake.

What an earthly shepherd does for his sheep, David understands that Yahweh, the Great Heavenly Shepherd, does for His human ‘flock’. 

I shall not be in want: Yahweh provides for all the needs of His sheep

He makes me lie down in green pastures: Yahweh brings His sheep to places of safety and plenty.  Sheep do not ordinarily lie down in the open field.  They must be completely convinced of their safety. 

He leads me beside quiet waters: Yahweh leads His sheep in places of peace and rest. Sheep do not like fast running water.  God leads to quiet places where the sheep can be refreshed without fear. 

He restores my soul: Yahweh takes care to refresh and strengthen His sheep; tending their hurts, physically, emotionally and spiritually (see Isaiah 40:11 for another great passage about the Divine Shepherd’s care).

He guides me in paths of righteousness: Yahweh sets His sheep on solid footing; ways that are sure and true; ways in which they will not stumble (see Psalm 94:18); these ‘paths of righteousness’ are the ways that honor God most fully. 

for His Name's sake: Yahweh does all this that He may be known and celebrated as the Great Shepherd; that His sheep will honor Him; that His Name will be given the respect and glory so well deserved.

We must notice in all these acts that it is the Lord Who takes the initiative.  Yahweh IS; He makes; He leads; He restores; He guides.  Sheep have limited capacity to do for themselves, except perhaps to get into trouble (see Isaiah 53:6).  If sheep resist the shepherd and choose their own way, they cannot be sure of safety or peace (see John 10:1-13; Revelation 7:17).  Therefore it is the duty of the shepherd to do for the sheep all that is for their welfare. 

I am a ‘sheep’; the Lord, my Shepherd, does for me all which is necessary for my security, health, well being, etc; not chiefly for my honor, but for His own Name- that He will be given glory as the Great Shepherd.  Therefore I must stay close to my Shepherd or I risk wandering away from the good paths which bring me what is best and give the honor to the Shepherd.


Are you near the Shepherd today?

1 comment:

  1. This is a good word! That last paragraph really hits home for me.

    ReplyDelete